Thursday, September 12, 2013

What we talked about

Before I went to the Camargo Foundation in Cassis, France, to write this concerto, I had a long phone conversation with Amy about what kind of stuff to put in it.

When I did a presentation at Camargo, I made notes on how to present why I was doing what I was doing. This is my cheat sheet. I did the presentation after I'd written about 3 minutes of music, and I'm not sure I got to everything on it.

Bach? check
Ritornello textures (Martler)? no idea what that means, but I think I did it
Jazz? check
Martler opening texture? check
I like to play with percussion? check
Points on a Curve texture? not so much
Also play celesta? check



Yes, I had a "dreamed tune". That's the chromatic turn you see in the middle of the page. There are a lot of chromatic turns in the piece because of that dream I had just before I left for France. In the dream, it had a late nineteenth century kinda harmonization, and was for chorus and orchestra. The words to the tune were The postcards are traveling home.

Dreams. Ya know.

No comments:

Post a Comment